Monday, 23 May 2011

Starting up a plan B

Hello again :) Few days have passed again after my previous post and the celebrations for Finland winning the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP in icehockey are done. I mean, you can't party forever right? :) But we are still going to be world champions for the rest of the year, so maybe a little party time here and there will still be allowed :)

I wanted to tell you about the job interview I had today. I went in to the part 1 for the interview yesterday for this marketing and sales company. The job sounded pretty good, as it was a sales job, but the product was something that is easy to sell and probably their target market was like bigger companies so not just a regular consumer. They told me they were not looking for a sales person, as they can be a bit too much sales-driven and will even lie to sell their product, so they were looking for just an ordinary people. There was a basic salary to start with as well, so not just a commission based. I had a really good feeling about the company and the job as well so I was excited to get a second interview for the next day (which was today). This second interview was also a sales training day and they asked us to be there from 10am to 4pm. There was 12 of us there. So we got in there at 10am, the trainer came in to the room and our first task was to sell a pen. Yes that's right, we all got a regular ballpoint pen and they told us to go out to the street and try to sell it to someone. I was like, oh no, this is not someting I want to do... But I went out anyway and tried to sell it to 3 people. Surprise, surprise, no one wanted to buy that pen. So we all got back in to the office, the trainer called out everyone of us who couldn't sell the pen and we were told 'thank you for coming, but you can leave now, we're not going to continue with you guys for the rest of the day'. You should have seen the look on everyone's face (I think there was like half of the room kicked out) as we went like 'so this is it then?' We felt like we didn't even get a real opportunity in trying to get that job. But I guess if you can't sell a pen on the street, then you can't sell anything. Well I don't think so, but apparently the company does... I'm not a sales person anyways, I know that, but I thought they weren't really looking for that sort of person anyway. So I think I'll stop applying for sales jobs now... hope something else comes along. There has to be some other jobs out there, right??

At the moment, I got the hostel booked until this Sunday and then I think I'll go down to the South Island. I might as well go out and see some new places, as I don't have anything to do in Auckland at the moment and I'm getting sick of trying to get a job as it hasn't been working out so far. The timing sucks as it's getting colder now down at the south and I wanted to go there later on, like in August or September, but then again, as I said, I got nothing to do in here either... I'm thinking of looking for a job down at the South Island as the winter season is about to start and there might be some job opportunities in that field. Like in some of the ski centres down there. So I'll pack my bags again, leave something at the luggage storage here at the hostel as I can't carry everything with me and try to find some inspiration in life again :D Seeing new places might just be the thing I need right now.

I'll let you know as soon as I figure out for my self, what exactly I decide to do. There are still few days left for this week to try to land a job somewhere in Auckland, so wish me luck!!

-S-

No comments:

Post a Comment