Thursday, 14 April 2011

Greetings from Paihia, Bay of Islands!

So I arrived today to little town called Paihia in the Bay of Islands. Now when I say little, I really mean little. There's like one mainstreet, where most of the shops are and then there's one road going along the beach and that's it. I think the bus driver said that the population is 4,500 but I couldn't get google to confirm, google said it was less than 2,000 which seems about right to me. But there's like 144 islands in Bay of Islands area, so I think it depends on what parts do you count as Paihia and what not.

There's not much to tell about today as I really didn't do much. Weather was a bit dodgy, was dripping a bit here and there, so I just strolled around the town, went for lunch and walked on the beach. There was also farmers market in town today, so I had a nice crepés with nutella for dinner :D Do you know what it feels like when you try to eat and there's about 10-20 seagulls gazing at your food? Not very nice I can tell you. I was sure they were going to attact me at any second. But they didn't, good seagulls, nice seagulls. Please don't peck me.

I decided on the bus, on our way here, that's I'd do the Cape Reinga tour as well, even though it's not included on my bus pass (just means I have to pay extra again). Our driver made it sound so nice and once I'm up here anyways, why not. So that's tomorrow, heading up bright and early again, departure is at 7.10am. Hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight and not like last night, hardly slept at all. I think I'm just too exited when I'm about to go somewhere so I kept on waiking up all night long. 'Is it morning yet? Can I get up now? Is it time to go already?'

Oh and I met some nice people today, I got one 'roommate' from Chile and another from Germany. I also met some Brittish at the bar this evening, had few pints with them. It's nice to meet people from all over the world, but sadly their plans are usually so different from yours, so you might only get to spend like a day or two with them. Like these current roommates of mine, they are both leaving tomorrow. Oh and if you think you're envious of me, you should here the travel stories that the other backpackers have here!!!! Man, I'm envious of them :D Some of them have been travelling for months and to more than just one country. That would be so cool to do, but I guess that just needs a lot of saving first. Or a very rich relative. I have non. No, just kidding, I'm not that envious actually, I know I couldn't live a hostel life for very long. I mean it's ok for now, but I really do want to find a job in order to be able to afford to rent an appartment, or a room actually.

Well anyways, I guess I need to sign off now and get some sleep before tomorrows big trip, so see ya later alligator (if there is anyone reading these anyways.. ;)) !!

No comments:

Post a Comment