Hello again everybody! I haven't been able to write in few days as travelling with Kiwi bus seems to be being in a constant hurry :) We do so much during the day, like take stops here and there so it's always a bit late in the afternoon when we reach our destination. It's fun that you get to see places on the way too, but then you're a bit tired when you find your next hostel...
So what have we done, we were at this little town called Whitianga yesterday, it's in Mercury Bay. Lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there, maybe just a tad too small for my taste :D On the way there we went to Hot Water beach. That was cool. The sand there is really hot, like you couldn't really walk on it and what people do there is dig up a hole, it fills up with hot water and then you let some water from the ocean to mix up to make your own little pool there. Pretty nice, there were lots of people there in their little sand pitts. Our crew (so people from the bus, we travel with same crowd pretty much all the time) dig up a hole as well, but there wasn't enough time to dig a big one, so they managed only to sink their feet in to it :D
So Whitianga was nice, but didn't really do much there. We had some nice dinner, spagetti bolognase that the keeper of the hostel made for us and we only paid for like 3,50eur for it. So it was nice to hang out with the people from the bus that evening. Next morning we head out to Rotorua. The town it self is not that bad, a bit bigger so I almost got lost trying to find an ATM and a shoe shop as my flip flops broke, they like fell apart completely for some reason :D But here comes the story that I really wanted to share with you guys...
We headed out in the evening to this little Maori Village, where we had a really good show put out for us and a dinner, hangi, that was prepared under the ground. I will honestly never forget this evening as it was simply AMAZING!!! Like I was totally blown away by their dancing and singing and I find Maori culture really facinating. It was definately worth every single dollar I spent on it and I'd do it again in a hartbeat if offered. I actually almost cried at few points as it was so touching, silly me, I know :D They showed us also their village and told us how things were done in the old days. And that dinner, oh boy, it was yammy!! It kind of tasted like smoke, which was a bit odd, but all and all, so good. They had chicken, roast, fish, kumara (this sweet potato), potatoes, carrots, salads and desserts. The meal it self had been cooking for 3-4 hours under the ground, so you can probably imagine how good it was :))
Pictures will be posted in facebook as soon as I have some time to spend on my computer again. Time flies when you're having fun out here so excuse me for not updating my facebook like every single day. I try as I know my family and friends will be worried if I don't, but try not to freak out if you don't hear from me every day. Once I get back to Auckland and will find a job, I have more time to hang out in fb and chat with you guys :)
Got to go now, bus will be leaving soon, next destination: Waitomo. Cheerious!!
Love,
Suvi
No comments:
Post a Comment