Sunday, 12 June 2011

Earthquake!

Today, Monday 13th June 2011, I experienced my very first earthquake ever here in Wanaka, South Island, New Zealand. I was sitting at a cafe when all of a sudden I thought I felt a bit lightheaded, like my head was spinning. I looked up and saw how the lamps hanging from the ceiling were swinging from side to side and this guy sitting next to me saw the expression in my face (which was pretty much 'what the heck was that?') and said; yes, I felt that too. Was so surreal, it wasn't really like the ground was trembling, but it was more like swinging. Kind of like being in a boat on a heavier waves, just rocking from side to side. It didn't last long though, it was over before you even realized it was an earthquake. I'm glad it was a small one, these I can handle, I don't even want to experience the bigger ones... I heard they had another big one again today in Chirstchurch :( That city doesn't seem to get a break from those big earthquakes... I'm glad I'm not going there. I heard it's pretty much like a ghosttown now days anyways..

The last update I wrote on this blog was from Franz Josef so an quick update after that: From Franz Josef we came to Wanaka. Now I absolutely fell in love with this place after just few minutes when walking around this lovely little town and I spend two nights in here. Then I left to go to Queenstown to check that place out and to meet with my friends from the bus. I spend 4 nights in Queenstown, but I wans't really exited about that place. And I got sick there too, it was really, really cold down there! The best thing about Queenstown was the famous Fergburger. Seriously, the best burger ever!! :D So everybody going to Queenstown, you HAVE to try it, it's so freaking good. So after few days in this city, I decided I don't like it that much and that I preferred Wanaka so I booked a bus ticket back to this lovely little town :)) Oh and the hostel in Queenstown was the worst ever, so that was probably one of the reasons as well that I didn't like it. I'm much happier here in Wanaka now. I even got the same room back I stayed in the last time I was here and again, all to my self :)) It has a bathroom and shower in it too, so it kind of feels like my own place now :)) I hope I'll get to keep it to my self for a while at least. I'm trying to look for a job here, but as the winter ski season hasn't started yet (usually there's snow on the ground by now, but this year the winter seems to be a bit late), the town is pretty quiet and it's hard to find a job now. I went to the job agency today and the lady told me to come back in 2-3 weeks when the town will get more busier, to see if they have something then. Apparently no one is hiring at the moment... I'll just have to keep my eyes open and hope something will come up soon!! So I'll get back to you when I have something new to report :) I'll have to stop writing now as my internet is cutting me off every 10minutes and it's driving me nuts!! :) See you later alligators!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment