Friday, 24 June 2011

Dunedin

I arrived in Dunedin 3 days ago and so far I like it :)) It's quite big city, 2nd biggest in the South Island and quite beautiful as well. There are lots of old buildings and people seem nice and friendly too. My hostel here though is probably the crappiest hostel I've ever been to... It's stuck in the 1960, smells like an old attic, moldy, and the rooms are freaking cold here as well. I feel like sleeping in the fridge, I'm so cold during the night I have to sleep with my fleece jacket and gloves on. I wish I had a hat, I'd put that on as well. The heating system they have in there is crap. The electricity in the room stays on only for 45min, so last night I got up pretty much every 45min to put the heating back on.. that's what you have to do in order to get at least a bit warmth in the room, but it doesn't help a lot, the ceiling is too high for that to warm up the whole room. I booked the room for 4 nights so I have to deal with it one more night and then I'm changing in to a different hostel.

I decided to stay few more days here in Dunedin, as I'm not really in a hurry to go anywhere, so why not :) There's a lot more to do in this town than there is in Wanaka. They even got McDonalds here and loads of other restaurants to choose from. I think I already tried everything they have in Wanaka, so it's a nice change to get something else to eat in here :D

Yesterday I went to this Wildlife Tour that lasted for 5hours, we left at 1pm and got back a bit after 6pm. First we went to this Albatross Centre, where we got to see Royal Albatross chicks that they are protecting there from the predators. Unfortunately no adult Royal Albatross on site, but it was nice anyway to hear a bit about the work they do there in order to protect these animals. Then we drove on to this private property only this company has access to to check out some other wildlife animals they have here. We got to see furry seals (they were adorable, I wanted to take one home with me!!), sea lions (huge and a bit scary, we got really close to those guys!!), Yellow Eyed Penguins (cute little creatures :)) and we saw some Pukekos (these funny looking birds) on the way too. So all and all a very nice trip :)) We had to go up and down some hills so there was a lot of walking involved, but somehow I managed to survive all that ;D

I haven't done much else here so far, I went to the movies one day and I've been just walking around the city, doing some window shopping and that sort of thing :) Tonight there's a Midwinter Carnival here in the city centre with some performances and live music, fireworks and that sort of thing, so I'm definately heading there to see what kind of festival that is. I'll take my camera with me and in case I get some nice shots, I'll add them to facebook later on :) I have lots of pictures from the wildlife tour as well, I'm just having a bit of difficulties on connecting to the internet with my laptop at the moment, so as soon as I can get it to work, I'll be uploading those first. I think my laptop is coming to an end of it's life... I'm not sure how much longer will it last, there's some signs already it might be a goner soon... :(( I just hope it will hang on until the end of my trip.

Speaking of the end of my trip, I've been seriously thinking of maybe coming home next month. Getting a job seems to be impossible around here and frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of even trying... So summer at home seems more and more tempting. I'm just having hard time making a decision for sure. And I think I need to make it fast so I can book my flights. Another one of these moments when it's tough being alone... oh well, we'll see what happens I guess, I'll try to come up with something next week. If you have anything that will make my mind come to a some kind of conclusion, let me know, I'd appreciate a bit of a help here :))

That's all for now, see you later alligators!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment